History of Swafield Hall

1466 – 2014

The History of Swafield Hall can be traced back to 1466 when it was mentioned in the will of William Burgey, who was lord of Swafield Hall at that time.
The existing house was built in the late 16th century. Swafield Hall was altered in the 17th and 19th centuries and as the result the house received two facades in different styles: a Tudor North facade with traditional Norfolk red brick and flint walls and a lime washed Georgian South elevation, with French windows on the ground floor and a black glazed pantiles roof.   Read more

Renovation 2015 – 2018

In cold, rainy November 2014 the happy new owners moved to Swafield Hall, where the boiler was broken, the roof was leaking and the water supply was disconnected…and maintenance work started.  After obtaining all the planning permissions, the renovation works began in May 2015, and it was a long, complex, but very exciting process. The urgent tasks were to repair the dilapidated chimneys and the leaky roof of the house. But the first change at Swafield Hall estate was the Apollo Belvedere marble statue for the beech promenade (Apollo Promenade now). Read more